Automated regression testing is used to verify that changes to a software system haven’t caused any unintended consequences or introduced new defects. It involves running a suite of tests on the modified software to ensure that it is still functioning as expected and that the changes have not caused any degradation in the quality of the software.
Automated regression testing is typically done by writing a set of test cases that cover the software’s functionality and then using a testing tool to execute those test cases automatically. This helps to reduce the time and effort required to perform regression testing manually, as the test cases can be run quickly and repeatedly without requiring manual intervention.
This testing is an important part of the software development process as it helps to ensure that changes to the software do not break existing functionality and that the software remains stable and reliable over time. Thus, below are some of the benefits of automated regression testing.
- Time-saving– It can be run quickly and repeatedly, saving time and effort compared to manually running the same tests each time.
- Consistency– Automated testing ensures that the same tests are run consistently every time, reducing the risk of human error.
- Improved coverage– It allows developers to test more scenarios and edge cases, increasing the coverage of the tests and improving the overall quality of the software.
- Early detection of defects– It can detect defects early in the development process, allowing developers to fix them before the software is released.
- Reduced costs– It can reduce the costs of testing by eliminating the need for manual testing efforts and minimizing the number of defects that need to be fixed later in the development process.
- Improved software quality– By catching defects early and ensuring that changes to the software do not break existing functionality, it helps to improve the overall quality of the software.
- Improved team productivity- It frees up the time and resources of the testing team, allowing them to focus on more valuable tasks such as exploratory testing and identifying new defects.
- Improved reliability– It helps to ensure that the software is reliable and performs consistently over time.
- Faster time-to-market– By detecting defects early and reducing the time and effort required for testing, It can help to speed up the software development process and get the software to market faster.
- Improved customer satisfaction– By delivering high-quality software that meets the needs of the end-users, it can help to improve customer satisfaction and build trust in the software.
- Better documentation– It often involves writing detailed test cases and documenting the results, which can improve the overall documentation of the software and make it easier for other team members to understand how the software works.
Automated regression testing is essential to ensure the stability and consistency of your software. It is a tedious process of comparing expected output with actual output during development and testing. Opkey provides an easy solution that automates the tedious tasks involved in manual regression testing. Their intuitive platform helps you create, manage, and track test cases, ensuring that each one is tested promptly.